Skip to main content

our very first blog

As Mrs. Brent Shannon elect, I figured it was time to assume my duties as such and blog!  As you all know Brent and I recently got engaged (November 20th) in the beautiful NYC!  This is my first blog and I'm having to share it, yay marriage (only kidding, I'm very excited)...a step up from facebook I guess, but everyone has to grow up sometime.

OUR STORY....(from my perspective, mostly)
Brent and I actually met about 4 years ago at a church dance in austin.  It's funny how I still remember meeting him and talking to him and even what we talked about (how texas tech was lame etc.).  This brief encounter never amounted to anything though; I was with someone else at the dance (sort of, we won't open that can-o-worms) and he never asked for my number. Looking back though, it's probably for the best I was only 19 and Brent was 26.  He did, however, leave an impression on me...I was reading in my journal and out of curiosity starting looking for a date around the time we first met, and sure enough! he managed to get a spot in THE journal. Brent says he doesn't believe me, I think he just wants me to show him my journal--denied!

Our story continues...about 2.5 years later when we met up at yet another church activity (I guess those YSA's are good for something).  At this point, however, we hadn't figured out who the other was nor had we realized that we'd met before.  I can imagine though that it was magical....the song from Sleeping Beauty comes to mind :)

Fortunately for us, we had friends in common...and through a series of double dates somehow ended up being 'friends' on our own.  Another plus was we both work at the same company!  Thus enabling us to frequent, enjoyable lunch dates.  Though I use the term 'date' loosely.  We typically talked about his romance with another girl (awkward), and I always paid for my own meal (tragic).  I remember how confused I was the first time he paid for my lunch, but I wasn't gonna argue about it. I guess that was around this time last year (Nov/Dec).

The first date I remember was to watch White Christmas.  He emailed me at work and said something to the effect of "how about after dinner tonight we watch White Christmas?" I swear I melted right on the spot, he's no Shakespeare mind you, but I liked it.  

The rest is history!  Well, not exactly, but you know how we ended up.  The date is set!  April 18, 2009 San Antonio, Texas temple...2pm 


Comments

larshannon said…
Yay, yay, yay! I'm so excited for you to join the family! Oh, and I enjoy keeping in touch through blogging.

We've marked the calendar and are ready for April!
Amber Stevenson said…
Yay Tamara! I love the blog and am so excited for your big day! We will be there for sure!!

Popular posts from this blog

Mothers and Daughters

Just a warning, I am standing on my 'soapbox', so turn back now if you don't want to hear my rant of the day. I have strong opinions, so read at your own risk. :) I just watched this video, Mothers and Daughters , and had to share it. I watched a very disturbing episode of Oprah yesterday (the DVR recorded another episode for some reason). I won't go in to details, but despite all of the discussion I was very upset and surprised by the actions of the mother. She was basically the opposite of what a mother should reflect. She offered no love, support, encouragement and in this particular situation protection for any of her children. I particularly like how Elder Ballard mentions what expectations we as women are presented with today. Pointing out how, women are often made to look silly, and objectified. Our roles, that we are divinely given, are continually undermined . Women seek guidance on how we should look, what we should wear etc. from people that really do

What's Fabric?

David's Bridal Highly Educated & Well Informed Employee: Thank you for calling DB. How can I help you? Me: Hi, yes I'm trying to order several yards of fabric. DBHE&WIE: I'm sorry, what? I don't understand you? Me: I'm trying to order some fabric. DBHE&WIF: order what? Me: Fabric. F-A-B-R-I-C (yes, I spelled it out for her just mistakenly thinking this would in some way make the communicating proces easier). DBHE&WIE: I don't know what that is. Me: (stunned, but I'm used to working with stupid people on the phone...here's my attempt to 'dumb it down') the stuff the clothes are made of--cotton, taffeta..? DBHE&WIE: Oh! Oh, I don't know...let me transfer you to alterations. Long story short: alterations first language was NOT English. She transferred me back... Hung up--called another location. They're going to call me back tomorrow to let me know. ps Tanlee-you owe me.

Be Thankful

It's that time of year again!  Time to spend hours cooking/preparing, minutes eating (WAY too much food), all surrounded in the loud, wonderful chaos of family. The food, shopping and preparations can quickly and easily take over and  result in overlooking the real meaning of the holiday. Thanksgiving invites us all to reflect on our many blessings and remember to be grateful.  As you might expect, the things I am most grateful for are those that you can't buy.  This year we welcomed Brynlynn into our home and are SO GRATEFUL for her; that she is here, that she is healthy, that our family is forever.   I'm incredibly grateful for my knowledge of the gospel of Jesus Christ.  I'm grateful for the countless blessing He has bestowed upon me and my family.  I am grateful for Brent; for the man and husband that he is and more importantly the father that he is.  I'm so grateful for all of my immediate and extended family...I'm not under any false impression that it'