Skip to main content

Mothers and Daughters

Just a warning, I am standing on my 'soapbox', so turn back now if you don't want to hear my rant of the day. I have strong opinions, so read at your own risk. :)

I just watched this video, Mothers and Daughters, and had to share it. I watched a very disturbing episode of Oprah yesterday (the DVR recorded another episode for some reason). I won't go in to details, but despite all of the discussion I was very upset and surprised by the actions of the mother. She was basically the opposite of what a mother should reflect. She offered no love, support, encouragement and in this particular situation protection for any of her children.

I particularly like how Elder Ballard mentions what expectations we as women are presented with today. Pointing out how, women are often made to look silly, and objectified. Our roles, that we are divinely given, are continually undermined. Women seek guidance on how we should look, what we should wear etc. from people that really do not exist; they are a creation of many hair, makeup and clothing stylists. Their views and beliefs should really have no value to us at all, yet they lead us in so many ways.

I am no exception to this. I am no stranger to reality TV and what so-and-so is wearing; I live in Pop Culture like most of America. Now that I have Brynlynn though, I want something more for her. I want her to know and to always remember how beautiful she is and not to devalue herself because she doesn't look how E! says she should. To know that her body is sacred and that she doesn't have to flaunt it to get the attention of the opposite sex. I want her to enjoy and retain her childhood for as long as she can. The girls today seem to be dressing and doing more adult things younger and younger. They're really becoming just mini adults! Where did childhood go? 10 years don't play with dolls-they "play" on Facebook! I can't handle having my 9-10 year old being on Facebook and/or having a boyfriend! And despite what the "new parenting" rules may say, I won't allow my daughter to have either of those at such an early age. Everyone is entitled to "parent" how they want, but don't be surprised when this same girl is sexually active by/before the age of 15. Bold statement, I know, but true. I am fully aware that some parents today would say that children need to be able to express themselves, and make their own choices. Yes, I agree. I am in full support of free agency and the ability to choose for oneself. However, children/teenagers need direction. They need guidance. Thus, the number of choices that are available to them should be limited and filtered by the parents. The irony of this is, those kids that have more discipline as children/teenagers will be more appreciative to their parents once they are older. It won't feel that way as they are experiencing "no" over and over, but once they are old enough to understand they will be grateful. Further, those parents who value friendship with their child above being a parent and allow them to make their own choices, in all things no matter the consequences, shouldn't be surprised with the results they get. If you're going to make a cake you can't simply throw in any number of ingredients and expect the results depicted in the picture; there are certain elements that must be added with no exception. This doesn't always guarantee the exact result you were hoping for, but it increases those chances.

I realize that in order to truly teach her these things, I have to become that example for her. I don't intend to shelter her from the world and keep her locked in her room (at least not forever, just the first 16 years! ;)..jk), but I have to teach her the standards, morals, values, that I believe in. It's not going to be easy, especially when she argues (and if she's anything like her parents-she will argue, and she'll be good at it). Ultimately, her choices are her own. Looking at her now sleeping so peacefully, so perfectly innocent...I just have to. I have to be that mother, that example she needs. "No other success can compensate for failure in the home." David O. McKay.


Phew! Ok, I'm off now. Sometimes I just gotta get it out of my system.

Comments

CheyAnn said…
AMEN SISTER!!!! Thanks for that, it is exactly what I needed to hear today. I love your opinions, and am so grateful you shared it!
larshannon said…
On my soap box...

Out front yesterday the 10yr neighbor girl was talking about her boyfriend and their date. What? Seriously? I couldn't help myself and in front of her own mother, I told her it was inappropriate for a 10yr to have a boyfriend. Then her mom says, "yeah I agree, but what do you do?"

the answer...PARENT.

I put up with children screaming they hate me. It hurts. I hate it, but they will do their homework, take baths, be respectful, and have limited and structured places to try out their agency.

I'm not perfect and I'm sure my kids would agree, but there will not be a 10yr dating in this house...
Tamara said…
Laura-oh my gosh! that's exactly what i'm talking about and worried about! It's so much harder to explain 'why' to the kids when everyone else is just letting it go. Please have it all figured out by the time I have a10 yr old--bc we also have a strict no dating until 16 policy.

Write down every time they say "I hate you" and why then someday you can show them and that guilt will get you anything ;)
bcmagg said…
AMEN sista!!! I totally agree with everything you said! I think I know which episode you're speaking of - the two blonde girls. Yeah, their mom failed them big time. PS this is Shelby on James' computer (his identity) :)
Nanette said…
I know I'm doing a good job when my kids say "I hate you" or "you're so mean". In fact, it makes me feel good when I hear it and always say "thank you, and I love you!". If we don't hear those words sometimes, we should feel bad :)

Popular posts from this blog

What's Fabric?

David's Bridal Highly Educated & Well Informed Employee: Thank you for calling DB. How can I help you? Me: Hi, yes I'm trying to order several yards of fabric. DBHE&WIE: I'm sorry, what? I don't understand you? Me: I'm trying to order some fabric. DBHE&WIF: order what? Me: Fabric. F-A-B-R-I-C (yes, I spelled it out for her just mistakenly thinking this would in some way make the communicating proces easier). DBHE&WIE: I don't know what that is. Me: (stunned, but I'm used to working with stupid people on the phone...here's my attempt to 'dumb it down') the stuff the clothes are made of--cotton, taffeta..? DBHE&WIE: Oh! Oh, I don't know...let me transfer you to alterations. Long story short: alterations first language was NOT English. She transferred me back... Hung up--called another location. They're going to call me back tomorrow to let me know. ps Tanlee-you owe me.

Be Thankful

It's that time of year again!  Time to spend hours cooking/preparing, minutes eating (WAY too much food), all surrounded in the loud, wonderful chaos of family. The food, shopping and preparations can quickly and easily take over and  result in overlooking the real meaning of the holiday. Thanksgiving invites us all to reflect on our many blessings and remember to be grateful.  As you might expect, the things I am most grateful for are those that you can't buy.  This year we welcomed Brynlynn into our home and are SO GRATEFUL for her; that she is here, that she is healthy, that our family is forever.   I'm incredibly grateful for my knowledge of the gospel of Jesus Christ.  I'm grateful for the countless blessing He has bestowed upon me and my family.  I am grateful for Brent; for the man and husband that he is and more importantly the father that he is.  I'm so grateful for all of my immediate and extended family...I'm not under any false impression that it'